Demystifying "Made in Germany": Understand and implement the requirements
"Made in Germany", "Made in Italy", "Made in France" . Labels of origin convey a feeling of trust and reliability. The actual requirements that must be met for the designation "Made in. " but often go unnoticed. In this blog post, we go into the criteria that are necessary for us to use the "Made in Germany" label and clarify common misunderstandings and misuse.
Requirements for "Made in Germany":
- Substantial Conversion: In order to qualify as Made in Germany, a product must undergo a substantial conversion within the country. This means that an essential part of the production process of the product, e.g. B the manufacture, assembly or finishing must take place in Germany.
- Local added value: The product should have significant added value in Germany. This includes factors such as design, research, development or a significant labor input.
- Transparency and traceability: Manufacturers using the "Made in Germany" label are expected to be able to clearly document and trace their production process to ensure compliance with the required standards.
- Quality Control: Products made in Germany are known for their quality standards. Strict quality control measures are essential throughout the production process to ensure compliance with German regulations and to maintain the integrity of the label.
Misuse of the "Made in Germany" logo:
Unfortunately, the "Made in Germany" mark is occasionally misused or misrepresented, thereby undermining its meaning. Common cases of abuse are:
- Minor assembly: Some manufacturers mark their products as "Made in Germany" even though they only perform minor assembly work in the country, while most of the manufacturing process takes place elsewhere.
- Outsourcing of production: Companies can outsource manufacturing processes to other countries while retaining the "Made in Germany" label, thereby misleading consumers as to the true origin of the product.
- Deceptive Labeling: In rare cases, counterfeit products may be labeled with fake "Made in Germany" labels, thereby misleading consumers and damaging the reputation of genuine German-made products.
Anti-abuse and ensuring authenticity:
- Enforcement of regulations: Government agencies and consumer protection agencies play a crucial role in enforcing labeling regulations and combating misuse or misrepresentation.
- Independent certification: Manufacturers can be independently certified by recognized organizations that verify the authenticity of "Made in Germany" claims to give consumers additional peace of mind.
- Consumer education: Raising consumer awareness of the requirements of the "Made in Germany" label can empower consumers to make informed choices and support genuine German products.
The "Made in Germany" seal stands for quality and craftsmanship. In order to ensure compliance with the requirements, the manufacturers should make the production process, the procurement of materials and the scope of the production in Germany transparent and clearly document it!
L'Evoine - 100% Made in Germany
We can proudly say that all L'Evoine products are made in Germany from start to finish. The producers and provenance of every single ingredient are known, from the buckle of the Le Baquet grooming bag to the logo band of the saddle pads. In addition, we know every person who is involved in the production of our products personally. Of course, every seamstress, every mechanic and every employee in shipping and in all other functions earns (above) the minimum wage set in Germany.
This strong principle offers numerous advantages - for us and our customers
Proximity to the product
All production facilities are just a few hours by car or train from our office. Prototypes can be discussed directly on site in close exchange with the experienced employees of each department, whether it is the weaving or the cutting of the leather. We waste no time and can respond to changes within hours.
The advantage for our customers: We can respond to individual requests and custom-made products.
Not in months but in days. (Almost) any adjustment is possible. Products can also be repaired - there is a 5-year guarantee on the Le Baquet leather bag. A product that should be passed on to future generations!
Through the years of close partnerships with our production partners and their employees, a relationship of trust has developed. We can rely on consistent, exceptional quality and continue to develop products together. This close exchange would not be possible if face-to-face meetings were not so frequent.
The advantage for our customers: the high demand for perfection is reflected in every product.
Our customers know what to expect when they order from us. In addition, our customers ultimately benefit from the know-how, some of which is more than 140 years old, which is in individual products.
The products do not have to be sent halfway across the world to arrive at our warehouse. During the Corona Pandemic (L'Evoine was founded during this time), it was sometimes possible to collect packages with finished products directly from the factory, while goods from China were stuck in containers for months. Of course we hope that this remains the exception, but it is a nice feeling to know that you are completely independent when it comes to logistics.
Due to the close cooperation between our manufactories and suppliers of individual ingredients and raw materials, there are also decades-long partnerships with German suppliers or suppliers in the surrounding European countries. Thus, the locality of each individual ingredient is secured and traceable.